Section Chief: Dr. Marinus van der Westhuizen
The Hospitalist Program provides high quality responsive and timely care for patients requiring admission to an acute care facility. As the Most Responsible Physician (MRP), team members play a valuable role in the delivery of family medicine level care to unattached medical patients requiring hospitalization.
The patients receiving inpatient care under the Calgary Hospitalist Program are generally elderly and the top 6 Case Mix Groups (CMG) are currently: Dementia, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Pneumonia, heart failure, lower Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) and Gastrointestinal (GI) Haemorrhage. The combination of these conditions with the advanced age and of the patient population gives rise to a complex and demanding service population, care requirements and resources.
The program's mandate is to provide continuous 24 hours per day/7 days per week in-house hospital care to patients at each adult acute care hospitals in Calgary.
- At least one MD in house 24/7
- Physicians take calls for their own patients between 0800 - 1600 hrs
- Second MD in house for ward and medical support
- Foothills Medical Centre: 246 patients
- Rockyview General Hospital:260 patients
- Peter Lougheed Centre: 232 patients
- South Health Campus: 64 patients
- Contractual with hourly rate