There are 2 blocks of electives in first year, and 2 blocks in second year. One or two of the second year blocks can be taken as a "selective” rotation in either ICU or CCU/Cardiology.
Electives can be a mix of clinical experiences that vary in duration over the 4 week rotation.
Elective blocks enable you to address individual learning needs. To be program-approved electives must:
- have educational value for you, the Resident
- be based on defined learning objectives identified by the Resident in their elective application
- be supervised by a physician
- be full time i.e. 4 days a week (plus half day academics and half day continuity home clinic on Thursdays) when in Calgary and 5 days a week when greater than 300 km away from Calgary.
- be approved by your Division Director a minimum of 4 weeks prior to the start date of the elective (for outside U of C elective experiences). Where an application is received within this time, a field note may be generated by the Division Director around professionalism.
- be chosen freely by the Resident where the Resident is not on a remediation or probation plan
- be made up from any combination of clinical experiences between a single half day and 20 days on the same clinical experience
- be organised as a ‘Research Elective” with the approval of the Research Director and Division Director or include research days but these count towards the 50% rule.
Attendance requirement is 50% over a 4 week period (as per attendance and absence policy) excluding academics and continuity home clinics.
Elective Assessment is required.
In situations when the Resident is present for at least 2 of the 4 weeks in the same clinical experience (excluding mandatory educational events and call-back), an “Elective ITER” must be completed at the end of the rotation. In situations when the Resident is present for less than 2 weeks, one field note per half day clinic is required.