Residency Program Applications
Want to learn more about Family Medicine as a Career?
Family physicians specialize in the whole person. See why family medicine is the right speciality for you. Please visit the following to learn more:
- The Choose Family Medicine Campaign
- The CFPC’s Family Medicine Professional Profile
- The Alberta College of Family Physicians website
Want to learn more about the University of Calgary’s Department of Family Medicine?
Applying to the Calgary Family Medicine Program
Instructions for Canadian/US Medical Graduates or International Medical Graduates (IMGs):
- Please confirms the Canadian Residency Matching Service (CaRMS) website for detailed information regarding the application process, required documents and timelines.
- All IMGs (including those in their final year of medical school outside of Canada and the United States) must apply to and be assessed by the Alberta International Medical Graduate (AIMG) Program before they can apply to positions on CaRMS. Visit the AIMG website for more information.
Resident selection in 2021 is undergoing a big change. Due to the Pandemic and the need to physically distance and stay safe, the Canadian Postgraduate admissions process will be entirely virtual this year. In addition, due to the disruption and suspension of undergraduate training earlier in 2020, the CaRMS R-1 March will occur later in the year and with a condensed timeline.
Calgary Family Medicine will be unable to meet medical students in person this year, so we will be using new tools to help you learn about us, including:
- Promotional Videos
- Participation in the FMF 2020 Virtual Booth Fair
- Virtual Meet and Greet Information Sessions (dates will be listed on the National Web Calendar of Events)
- The AFMC Residency Program Promotion Web Tool
- Resident, Preceptor, and Leadership Testimonials
The Calgary City Program will be accepting 58 CMG positions and 10 AIMG positions for the 2021 Match.
Please Note: The Family Medicine Structured Reference Form will no longer be requested by any program in the 2021 R-1 Main Residency Match.
A maximum of three (3) letters of reference can be submitted from clinical supervisors/physician preceptors. It is preferred that at least one letter of reference be from a Family Physician who knows you and can attest to your qualities. The other references can be from physicians of the candidate's choice. Referees cannot be related to the applicant. File review will not take place unless all three (3) reference letters have been received by the unmasking date. The reference letters should be as descriptive and objective as possible. It is essential that the referee describe the extent of their contact with the applicant, and candidly speak to the professional attributes of the applicant. All reference letters must be dated and related to work experience within the last 2 years.
Please refer to our CaRMS Program Site Descriptions for full and detailed information about what is required to apply to our program.
The preferred manner of communicating with all applicants is via e-mail. To facilitate communication, all applicants must ensure the email address on their CaRMS application is accessible and correct.
First Iteration Interviews will be held between March 8 – 28, 2021 in a virtual format. Interviews will be conducted by a Family Physician and a current Resident and take approximately 30 minutes. A complete file review will be done prior to your interview by separate individuals.
Candidates must be aware that the interview teams will not have access to your CaRMS files. The file review and interview stages are kept separate to reduce bias. Candidates are to use their interview time to convey as much information as they can about themselves, their background, and their passions for family medicine.