Crowfoot Village Family Practice
Suite 210, 600 Crowfoot Crescent NW
Calgary AB T3G 0B4
Residents well suited to our clinic are:
- team players; they are invited and genuinely come to feel like they are part of the CVFP team
- open to learning primarily through high volume practice and bedside teaching
- interested in learning about a unique and effective practice funding model that benefits patients
- open to learning about how to work with a multidisciplinary health care team
- creative thinkers who can bring and test innovative ideas for practice improvement
- those who resonate with our corporate values of Integrity, Caring, Effectiveness, Innovation and Community.
Crowfoot Village Family Practice (CVFP) is a progressive and innovative group that uses a comprehensive care model to deliver primary health care in northwest Calgary. The staff of fifteen family physicians, fourteen nurses, and numerous support staff care for newborn to geriatric patients. The Clinic team also includes a health management nurse, pharmacist, CDE certified diabetes nurse educator, a respiratory educator, dietician, behavioral health consultant and complex care nurse.
Crowfoot is unique in that it is not run on a fee-for-service model; rather it is run on the alternate relationship plan (ARP). The patients are rostered and the practice receives a monthly fee from Alberta Health and Wellness to provide all primary health care services. This innovative model encourages preventative medicine, continuity of care, as well as the freedom to spend more time with patients
Patient Population and Learning Experience
Residents will see bread-and-butter family medicine at CVFP, from simple to complex, newborn to elderly. There is also a physician who focuses on maternity care and deliveries. There is a good balance between learning and seeing a good number and wide variety of patients in each day or half day. The preceptor to learner ratio is almost always one-to-one.
The preceptors are experienced and enthusiastic about teaching, and have time to do this. The patients are comfortable with trainees as residents, clerks and nurse practitioners have long been taught here.
The clinic was recently expanded and includes more than 10,000 square feet; the new facilities have been planned with resident teaching in mind.