Primary taHealth Knowledge Network
To access, connect to: http://www.hkn.ca/
- User-name and password are 'ruralmed' & 'may*20'
Schulich Family Medicine Cards
- Schulich Family Medicine Cards (PPT, 298KB)
To access, connect to: http://library.ucalgary.ca/
- Click on the Research Databases button on the top red navigation banner.
- Click on the Medicine link.
Additional databases are available on the Health Sciences Library website.
- Click on Health Sciences Library under the U of C Libraries section.
- At the left Health Sciences Library menu, click on Evidence Based Practice.
The following categories of information resources are based on the following article: Haynes, RB. Of studies, syntheses, synopses, summaries, and systems: the "5S" evolution of information services for evidence-based healthcare decisions. Evidence based medicine. 2006 Dec 11(6):162-4.
ACP PIER (Physician's Information & Education Resource)
- Decision-support tool of evidence-based guidance for physicians.
- Modules focus of the diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
- Summaries of evidence from systematic reviews, randomized controlled trials, and observational studies on the benefits and harms of therapeutic and preventive interventions.
- Covers over 200 of the most common medical conditions seen in primary care, pediatrics and internal medicine.
Evidence-Based Complementary Medicine (EBCM)
- Evidence-rated information on herbs and natural remedies, conditions they may be used to treat, and known or suspected drug interactions.
- Does not offer information on non-herbal modalities such as acupuncture.
- Continuously updated, evidence-based content aimed at primary care providers.
- Over 600 condition-specific disease files, 1500 differential diagnoses, and medical procedures guidance, including video clips and patient education handouts.
UpToDate (U of C and CHR access only; no remote access)
- Regularly updated texts to answer clinical questions at point of care about patient care, diagnosis and treatment.
- Focuses on internal medicine and subspecialties.
ACP Journal Club
- Abstracts of articles from core clinical journal that meet explicit criteria.
- Covers therapy, diagnosis, etiology, and prognosis in family medicine, internal medicine and its subspecialties.
Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects (DARE)
- Critical summaries of selected systematic reviews about the effects of interventions.
- Includes many non-Cochrane reviews.
- Summarizes and grades the evidence for foods, herbs and supplements, as well as for non-herbal complementary and alternative medicine modalities such as acupuncture.
- Contains information on drug interactions and contraindications.
Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews
- Systematic reviews of the effects of prevention, treatment & rehabilitation healthcare interventions.
- AMED – Allied and Complementary Medicine Database.
- Produced by the Health Care Information Service of the British Library.
- Indexes journals in complementary medicine, palliative care, and other allied health professions.
- A searchable database of best evidence, with articles rated by clinical relevance and newsworthiness.
- Indexes nursing and allied health journals.
- Indexes international journals in subjects such as health policy and management, pharmacology, and public health.
- Can limit by "Clinical Queries" or "EBM Reviews" for evidence based results.
- Includes MEDLINE, OLDMEDLINE, "in process" and "as supplied by publisher" citations.
- Use "Clinical Queries" feature on the left to find clinical studies or systematic reviews by using pre-set research methodology. filters
- Provides citations to professional and academic literature in psychology and related disciplines.